All newly enrolled students who have not successfully completed college-level English and mathematics courses or who have not attained sufficient ACT scores are required to take the ACCUPLACER placement test before registering for classes. This test indicates the beginning levels of math, English, and reading courses.
Preparing for a placement test
Enterprise State Community College provides quality services in all areas, including placement testing. It is necessary that test takers take placement testing seriously to ensure appropriate placement in courses. Before you take your test, study basic math, reading, and English concepts. For extra help, visit these sites.
- Study app
- Free Sample Questions
Scheduling a placement test
We encourage you take the test as soon as possible. Appointments are not required, but we suggest scheduling one to take the test. The ACCUPLACER test is given in the Admissions office M-TH 7:45 until 2 and Friday 7:45 until noon. Contact the office of Admissions at (334) 347-2623 Ext. 2272 or Ext. 2295 to schedule your appointment.
What is the ACCUPLACER placement assessment?
Per the College Board, “ACCUPLACER tests your knowledge in math, reading, and writing. Over 1,500 institutions administer ACCUPLACER tests as part of the enrollment process. These tests help identify your strengths and needs in each subject area. ACCUPLACER interactive online learning tools are available to help you sharpen your skills. The academic advisers and counselors at your college or technical school will use your ACCUPLACER test results along with information about your academic background, goals, and interests to help you take courses that match your skill level and give you the best opportunities for success.” (College Board, 2016)
Must I take the ACCUPLACER assessment before I register for classes?
You must complete the placement assessment unless you are exempt from it by policy. If you took the ACCUPLACER test at another Alabama two-year college within the last three years and have not completed college level math or English, you can ask to have your score report transferred to Enterprise State Community College.
- Any student who has an associate degree or higher;
- Any student who transfers degree-creditable, college-level English or mathematics courses with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited institution;
- Any student who has successfully completed required developmental coursework at another Alabama Community College System college or an accredited college within the last three years. (Course descriptions from institutions outside of the Alabama Community College System must be reviewed);
- Any student who is enrolling to audit a course;
- Any transient student with documentation;
- Any student who is enrolling for personal enrichment purposes only;
- Any student whose valid ACT scores (no older than three years) are 20 or higher in mathematics, and 18 or higher in English. However, students who wish to improve their course placement must take the state placement test;
- Any student whose SAT English / writing score (before 2016) is > than 440 and whose math score (before 2016) is > than 480. New SAT test scores must be > 25 in English / Writing (new SAT section English / writing scores must be > 510) and > 25.5 in math (new SAT section math scores must be > 510) and > 26 in Reading (new SAT section reading scores must be >510). However, students who wish to improve their course placement must take the state placement test.
Please schedule your assessment session at least one day before visiting a counselor to register for classes.
Is there a fee for taking this assessment?
There is no fee for initial placement tests. However, students must have applied for enrollment to the Admissions Office and must present photo identification at the time of testing. Students needing special accommodations for testing should contact the Counseling and Assessment department at the campus on which the testing is taking place. The re-test fee is $8.00 and is payable at the Business Office.
Are other resources available to help me prepare?
ACCUPLACER resources are available by clicking here.