Peer Tutors, Center for Academic Success and Excellence (CASE) – part-time
Posted On: Friday, November 30
POSITION: Peer Tutors, Center for Academic Success and Excellence (CASE) – part-time
• Currently enrolled ESCC student
• Each tutor must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above. Each tutor must have earned an “A in the course(s) in which he/she is to tutor. “B’s” are accepted on a case by case basis.
• Faculty recommendation based on student success in and out of the classroom setting.
The primary responsibility of tutors is to provide academic support for students who lack the educational background for college work by providing direct tutorial assistance to the students. Tutors are not to take the place of teachers; rather, they are to reinforce or explain class material in a content area. Tutors are also to help students develop self-confidence and reduce the fear of failure. Much of the program’s success depends upon the quality of the tutors employed. Tutors must be patient, responsible, empathetic, and mature with a commitment to and respect for students. Tutors will be selected on the basis of faculty recommendations of students or highly qualified applicants who have demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, understanding, and ability to relate to other students.
POSITION AVAILABLE: January 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Making and keeping appointments with students
• Building rapport with students
• Scheduling tutoring appointments
• Keeping session reports up to date
• Completing all necessary paperwork on time
• Following up with instructors of each student tutored a minimum of once during the semester (by phone, email, note, or face-to-face conversation)
• Attending scheduled meetings
• Completing all other duties as assigned
• Tutors are responsible for regularly checking schedules, picking up messages, and touching base
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Effective oral, auditory and written communication skills are required.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, other employees, and the public is required.
• Ability to work with diverse populations.
Salary Schedule L $11.13 per hour depending on education and experience (not to exceed 19 hours per week)
This is a continuous posting. Applications will be received as submitted.
Incomplete or late application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview. Application packets submitted after the deadline date will eliminate the possibility of an interview. The submission of all required application materials by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
Applicants must submit a complete packet which consists of the following:
• Completed ESCC Application for Employment
• Faculty Recommendation letter
• Copy of transcript with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
• Copy of current ESCC schedule
Employment is contingent upon employer verification of work experience. Only applicants who meet the required qualifications and submit a complete application packet by the deadline will be considered. Applications submitted by fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will NOT be accepted.
Applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at their own expense. All applications become the property of ESCC.
In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon receipt of a clearance notification from a criminal background check. The candidate hired will be responsible for the nonrefundable minimum cost of $17.40 for the criminal background investigation. Additional charges may apply.
Enterprise State Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-verify). E-verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
Enterprise State Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Enterprise State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees.
The College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding.
Enterprise State Community College application for employment form is available at www.escc.edu and should submitted online.