Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Instruction
Posted On: Tuesday, August 27
POSITION: Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Instruction
• Associate Degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
• A minimum of three (3) years of verified administrative or clerical experience is required.
• Higher education experience preferred.
Under the supervision of the Dean of Instruction, the employee provides administrative support to the Dean of Instruction and academic divisions. The employee performs general administrative duties, creates and maintains required records, and assists students and staff as needed.
POSITION AVAILABLE: September 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform general office administration functions for the colleges academic and instructional programs. These duties include telephone, preparing general and specific correspondence, filing, making appointments, processing incoming and outgoing mail, and internal memorandums, receiving and greeting visitors, keeping calendars, duplicating and assembling materials, preparing requisitions for supplies and materials, preparing leave and travel materials, and responding to inquiries.
• Work closely with Dean of Instruction and Calendar Committee in creating, submitting to ACCS System Office after President’s approval, and posting for all employees, the ESCC Instructional and College calendar each year.
• Create and update College Directory of all employees with all contact information. This includes College contact information as well as for after-hours emergency contact. This Directory is updated in the fall semester each year.
• Work closely with Human Resources, Division Chairs, and Dean of Instruction in making sure all memos are processed for faculty overloads and adjunct faculty data properly submitted for contracts.
• Maintain and update all Permanent Records of an Academic nature including college catalogs, adjunct faculty handbooks, student evaluations for course instruction (performed during fall semester of each year), class schedules, graduate records, faculty load records and faculty and staff absentee records, and Dean’s List.
• Maintain and update the college’s key file (Enterprise Campus). This file includes records of the personnel assigned college keys and a file of extra keys for safety and maintenance.
• Maintain and update college-wide academic course syllabi file. These updates are to be done annually, unless there is a change mid-year.
• Order, store and distribute faculty grade books.
• Process Dean’s List certificates and mail to students after completion of term. Order, store and process Honor’s Day honor certificates, and division merit certificates. Work closely with Division Chairs and Honors Day committee in order to process and distribute honors for ceremony. Send letters to all honorees once list has been secured.
• Send memos to faculty of student’s excused absences (illness, athletic participation, etc.).
• Maintain confidential files to student and faculty problem areas with detailed documentation.
• Send Professional Development Plans and evaluations of faculty to HR after Dean of Instruction signs.
• Enter and maintain term class schedule in Alliant as approved by the Dean of Instruction. Export schedule for marketing to prepare for publication.
• Work with Dean of Instruction and Division Chairs in updating ESCC catalog.
• Maintain budget information for Dean of Instruction’s allocations (to include processing all requisitions, submitting purchase orders for payment, etc.).
• Take, prepare and disseminate Instructional Council meeting minutes (as needed), and faculty meeting minutes.
• Maintain and verify college-wide faculty office schedules for each semester for all campuses to ensure that instructors are maintaining the correct amount of office hours. Compile and maintain an office hours master schedule.
• Maintain workroom copy machine and supplies.
• Serve on College committees as assigned (Graduation, Honors Day, instructional Council and Calendar committee are permanent assignments). Also serve as clerical support on selection committees for instructional positions.
• Maintain schedule of Dean of Instruction’s conference room.
• Update and enter degree plans including course pre-requisites and co-requisitions in the college’s software system as needed.
• Maintain flexibility in a constantly changing work environment.
• Open attendance verification after drop/add ends at the beginning of each full term and mini term. Verify that instructors complete attendance verification by the appointed deadline.
• Mark canceled classes in Alliant at the beginning of each semester. Submit list to bookstore, counselors, admissions, and registrars office.
• Prepare classroom charts to go outside classroom showing schedule of classes for the semester.
• Enter new courses as needed in the college’s software system.
• Register students for continuing education courses, including Camp Weevil, as needed.
• Verify that instructors have completed grade reporting by the appointed deadline at the end of each term.
• Assume other duties assigned by the Dean of Instruction and/or the President.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service
• Ability to comprehend complex instructions or information.
• Ability to use independent judgment.
• Verbal communication skills to discuss office procedures with administration, staff, faculty, students and officials of other organizations.
• Ability to effectively respond to questions from supervisors, faculty, staff, students and the general public.
• Substantial knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation.
• Writing skills to compose or assist in writing reports, correspondence, etc.
• Reading skills to analyze and interpret incoming and inter-office information.
• Editing skills to ensure that reports, requested information, and correspondence are submitted properly and accurately. Ability to read fine print and numbers without errors in transposition.
• Technological skills including, but not limited to the ability to operate a computer, work with various software, and use a web browser (Internet Explorer). Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel. Skill in the use of office machines including calculator, fax, copier, scanner, and related equipment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Salary Schedule E3 04 $34639 – $48925, based upon the Alabama Community College System Salary Schedule to be determined by the applicant’s years of applicable experience. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicant’s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided.
Applications must be received by September 11, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Incomplete or late application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview. Application packets submitted after the deadline date will eliminate the possibility of an interview. The submission of all required application materials by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
Applicants must submit a complete packet which consists of the following:
• Completed ESCC Application for Employment
• Current resume
• Copy of transcript showing degree and date conferred
• Verification of experience to equal the required years for the position included above.
(Verification of experience should be on company letterhead or form and include the applicants name, title, and dates of employment while employed. All letters must be dated and include an original signature of authorized personnel. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment)
Employment is contingent upon employer verification of work experience. Only applicants who meet the required qualifications and submit a complete application packet by the deadline will be considered. Applications submitted by fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will NOT be accepted.
Applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at their own expense. All applications become the property of ESCC.
In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon receipt of a clearance notification from a criminal background check. The candidate hired will be responsible for the nonrefundable minimum cost of $17.40 for the criminal background investigation. Additional charges may apply.
Enterprise State Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-verify). E-verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
Enterprise State Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Enterprise State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees.
The College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding.
Enterprise State Community College application for employment form is available at www.escc.edu and should submitted online.