Earn high school and college credits at the same time for courses required by both high school and college curriculums. Enterprise State offers dual enrollment opportunities for high school students on their own high school campus or on any ESCC campus.
Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit is an enrichment opportunity allowing eligible high school students to earn high school and college credit for courses taken through an Alabama Community College (ACCS) institution while still enrolled in high school. Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit is available to students attending public, private, parochial or church/religious schools according to §16-28-1 of the Code of Alabama 1975, or who are receiving instruction from a home school/private tutor according to §16-28-5 of Code of Alabama 1975.
Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit agreements with local educational agencies (LEAs) in Enterprise State Community College’s service area must be on file in the college’s dual enrollment and president’s offices before class proposal and/or student applications will be accepted. The participating LEA and ESCC will develop a Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit Agreement that includes, but is not limited, to the following:
- Student Eligibility
- Eligible Courses and Course/Credit Equivalencies. Three semester credit hours at the postsecondary level will typically equal one credit (Carnegie unit) at the high school level in the same or related subject.
- Faculty Qualifications, Requirements, and Compensation
- Student Issues and Information
- Other understandings and/or Responsibilities
What Does It Take to be an ESCC Dual Enrollment Student?
- Be in the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in high school
- Have a cumulative unweighted high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Have written approval from the high school (completed Dual Enrollment forms)
- Possible college placement test, where minimum placement is required, specifically for college-level English and math courses.
- Be academically, physically, and socially ready
Being an ESCC Dual Enrollment Student Allows You to:
- Earn college credit before leaving high school
- Shorten the time it takes to earn a college degree
- Experience the academic rigor of college courses while still in the supportive environment of high school
- Develop good time management and study skills
- Enhance your college admission application package or resume
- Transition more easily from high school to college
- Prepare for a career
- SAVE MONEY – Tuition and fees are less expensive at ESCC than most universities and scholarships may be available
Benefits of Dual Enrollment
- Cost Savings:
Tuition and fees at Wallace State are significantly less than those at four-year colleges.
- Simultaneous Credit:
Earn credit for both high school graduation and your college degree with the same amount of coursework!
- Educational Advantage:
Get a jump start on your college career while easing the transition from high school to college.
- Dual Enrollment Students:
Are more likely to enroll in college right out of high school
- Earn higher first year GPAs:
Are more likely to continue on to the second year of college—making them more likely to finish!